General Inter-District Information
Students who live in the boundaries of other school districts may request transfer into PPS schools, and students who live in the PPS district may ask for permission to attend schools in other districts. There are state laws that govern the inter-district transfer process. Generally, transfer decisions are made in the spring for the following school year.
Twelve things to know about Inter-district Transfers
- Students who move during the school year to a home located in a different school district may automatically remain in their current school through the end of the year. However, they do need to receive both a release from their new resident district and approval from their current district in order for the transfer to extend to the next school year.
- Students who wish to transfer to a different district for the first time must also receive permission from both districts.
- Transfer priorities and deadlines vary between districts. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible in both districts to avoid missing deadlines. See the list of inter-district contacts below.
- Foster students and families experiencing homelessness may be exempt from inter-district transfer rules. Call PPS or your resident district to learn more.
- PPS prioritizes students who have recently moved across district lines, and/or have siblings already enrolled in their requested district. Click here https://www.pps.net/cms/lib/OR01913224/Centricity/Domain/219/04-15-19%20Business%20Agenda%20FINAL.pdf for the latest PPS Board approved priorities and timelines.
- If both districts agree to the transfer, your child may enroll in your requested school next year.
- If either district does not agree to the transfer, your child will have to attend school in your resident district or pay tuition to attend your requested school.
- Releases out of a district are always good through 12th grade.
- Transfers into PPS remain in effect through the highest grade of the approved school. For example, if a child is given permission to attend a K-5 school beginning in 1st grade, the family does not have to ask again to remain in that school, but does need to make a new request to attend a PPS school for 6th grade.
- Transfers can be revoked if a student does not meet attendance or behavior standards.
- Families always have the right to return to their home school in their resident district.
Inter-district transfer laws are complex and have changed considerably over the past several years. Feel free to call the Enrollment and Transfer Center at any time to learn how current rules apply to your particular circumstance.
Inter-district Transfer Resources
Inter-District Transfer Requests Into PPS
If you live outside of the PPS district boundary you must receive permission from both districts prior to the start of the next school year in order to have your child attend a Portland Public School.
The Board of Directors for Portland Public Schools voted on April 15, 2019 to allow an unlimited number of students to transfer into PPS if they apply by September 1, 2019 and meet at least one of the following priorities:
i. Students who had a legal change of residence out of the PPS boundary during the past year will be allowed to remain enrolled at their current PPS schools.
ii. Students who have siblings already enrolled in PPS will be accepted, so long as space is available at the requested schools.
iii. Students who attended a PPS public charter school for at least three consecutive years and are completing the highest grade this year will be accepted, so long as there is space in the requested schools. This category includes non-resident students currently enrolled in Trillium Charter School.
iv. Students who have reached the highest grade of their current PPS schools and wish to continue at the next school level (such as elementary to middle school or middle to high school), so long as space is available at the requested schools.
Additionally, up to 100 students who do not qualify for any of the above priorities will be admitted to PPS, so long as space is available at the requested schools.
Inter-District Transfer Requests Out of PPS
If you live in the PPS district boundary but wish to have your child attend school in a different district, you must receive permission from both districts.
The Portland Public School Board votes yearly to allow resident students who meet the specific qualifications to be released to other districts, so long as they apply by September 1 of the school year. Typical criteria might be:
- Students who had a legal change of residence into the PPS district during the 2018-2019 school year or over the summer of 2019, and who wish to remain in their current district
- Students who have a sibling enrolled in their requested school in 2018-2019 and expected to attend in 2019-20
Resident students must also receive permission from their requested district before the start of the 2019-20 for the release to be valid. Releases to other districts remain in effect through 12th grade.
Students who do not meet the criteria above will not be released from PPS through the standard inter-district process. Click the following link to learn about state rules for emergency/hardship transfers https://www.pps.net/cms/lib/OR01913224/Centricity/Domain/182/Interdistrict%20Emergency-Hardship%20Transfers.pdf
Other District Contacts
DISTRICT CONTACT Inter-District Web Address EMAIL ADDRESS PHONE NUMBER FAX NUMBER Banks Marlo Mosser firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 324-8591 (503) 324-6969 Beaverton Cris Filer Beaverton Inter-District email@example.com (503) 356-4413 (503) 356-4415 Canby Kamela Davis firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 266-0004 (503) 266-0022 Centennial Angie Colantino Centennial Inter-District email@example.com (503) 762-3627 (503) 762-3689 David Douglas Laurie Brunelle David Douglas Inter-District firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 261-8201 (503) 261-8208 Dayton Candy Duer email@example.com (503) 864-2215 Estacada Denise Pemberton firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 630-6871 x2907 Forest Grove Kathy Bahnsen email@example.com (503) 359-2406 (503) 359-2474 Gaston Linda Smith firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 985-0210 (503) 958-3366 Gladstone Natalie Weninger email@example.com (503) 496-3935 (503) 655-5201 Gresham-Barlow Nancy Singleterry Gresham-Barlow Inter-District firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 261-4579 (503) 261-4553 Hillsboro Katie Russell Hillsboro Inter-District email@example.com (503) 844-1771 (503) 844-1557 Marleen Zytniowski firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 844-1771 (503) 844-1557 email@example.com (503) 844-1771 (503) 844-1557 Lake Oswego Eden Armstrong Lake Oswego Inter-District firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 534-2490 (503) 534-2033 Lebanon Ruth Hopkins email@example.com (541) 451-8458 Lincoln County Jody Becker firstname.lastname@example.org (541) 265-4408 (541) 574-7620 Marcola Kim Taylor email@example.com (541) 933-2512 Newberg Candace Pelt firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 554-5007 (503) 537-9474 No. Clackamas Judy Vigil email@example.com (503) 353-1907 (503) 353-6039 No. Marion Diane Laubsch firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 678-7100 (503) 678-1473 Oregon City Brenda Kirk email@example.com (503) 785-8432 Oregon Trail Amy Nguyen firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 668-5541 x4101 Parkrose Susan Fox email@example.com (503) 408-2100 Portland Public Jessica Southward Portland Public Inter-District firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 916-3205 (503) 916-3699 Stephen Rouffy email@example.com (503) 916-3205 Rainier Lisa Skeans firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 556-3777 x263 Reynolds Mary Dennis Reynolds Inter-District email@example.com (503) 661-7200 (503) 667-6932 Riverdale Hilary Chandler firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 262-4840 Salem-Keizer Kristin Hulin email@example.com (503) 399-2632 (503) 375-7817 Scappoose Julie Hinkle firstname.lastname@example.org (971) 200-8000 (503) 543-7011 Sherwood Lisa Poehlitz email@example.com (503) 825-5011 (503) 825-5001 St. Helens Donna Rethati firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 366-7226 (503) 397-1907 Tigard-Tualatin Kathy Longfellow Tigard-Tualatin Inter-District email@example.com (503) 431-4003 Traci Rose firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 431-4180 West Linn-Wilsonville Kelly Douglas email@example.com (503) 673-7034 (503) 673-7001 Woodburn Peppi Kosikowski firstname.lastname@example.org (503) 981-2713