Moving to Middle School 2020-21
Considering your options: Students are guaranteed a spot at the school in the attendance area in which they live. For families wishing to explore other options:
- Attending a different neighborhood school: PPS has great neighborhood schools that meet most families' needs. Families who believe a different neighborhood school would be a better fit must fill out a petition. There is no deadline to submit a petition. The Enrollment & Transfer Center determines whether the petition should be granted based on the reasons for the request and space available at the requested school. Learn more.
- Attending a focus option school: Families interested in focus options apply in the annual lottery:
- Lottery applications are accepted Nov. 5 to Dec. 3, 2019
- Apply online or download a form
- Families will be informed of lottery results by late January 2020.
Familes of 2020-21 sixth-graders interested in applying to focus option or alternative programs through the lottery should plan to attend one of the following open houses to learn more about their future school:
School Information Meeting ACCESS Academy MS
Nov. 21, 2019, 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Location: Lane MS
Application will not be available until February 5th. ACCESS has a separate application process that must be completed in addition to the lottery process. Contact TAG for more information.
Creative Science K-8 Middle School Information Night
Nov. 5, 2019, 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
da Vinci Arts Middle School Information Meetings
Nov. 13, 2019, 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Nov. 19, 2019, 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM -Principal's Session Begins at 5:00 PM
Metropolitan Learning Center 6-8
MS Lottery Information Night*
Nov. 6, 2019, 6:00 PM
Nov. 14, 2019, 6:00 PM
*Separate MLC Application is also required to apply
MLC Visitors Day Program
Nov. 19, 2019, 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM - Student hosted Q&A after Visitors Day Program Tour
Middle School Information Night*
Nov. 7, 2019, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
*Required to apply to Odyssey
Sunnyside Environmental K-8
Middle School Information Sessions*
Nov. 7, 2019, 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM Meeting Cancelled
Nov. 21, 2019, 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
*Required to apply to Sunnyside
Winterhaven K-8 Middle School Information Nights*
Nov. 6, 2019, 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Nov. 20, 2019, 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
*Attending one session required to apply to Winterhaven
Please check with the schools to be sure the announced dates and times have not changed.
Most neighborhood middle schools will hold their 5th grade information nights in Winter 2020. Please contact the school or check their website for details.
Ask for help
Speak with an enrollment and transfer specialist: Español: 503-916-3205 | Tiếng Việt: 503-916-3584 | 中文: 503-916-3585 | Русский: 503-916-3205 | Soomaaliga: 503-916-3586
E-mail your question to the Enrollment and Transfer Center or visit the Enrollment and Transfer Center at 501 N. Dixon St., Suite 140, Portland, OR 97227.