Board Meetings Update
PPS Board of Education has returned to meeting in person and welcomes the public to attend. Unless noted, meeting are held at the Blanchard Education Service Center (BESC) located at 501. N. Dixon Street, Portland, Oregon 97227, and begin at 6:00 pm.
On July 26th, Multnomah County Health announced updated guidance for mask-wearing: Wear a mask when indoors around people you don’t live with, whether vaccinated or not. This update is in response to increases in Delta variant cases in Oregon and is consistent with evolving guidance from state and national public health agencies, including the CDC, which has advised that vaccinated people who live in high-transmission areas wear masks in indoor public spaces and that K-12 schools require masks for all.
Consistent with our practice of following public health guidance throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, beginning July 27th we are requiring members of the public to wear masks at board meetings.
If you would like to sign up for public comment, please send an email with your first and last name and topic to PublicComment@pps.net or call Kara Bradshaw at 503-916-3906. Requests for public comment will be processed in the order that they are received and should be received by 12:00 pm the day of the meeting.
Under the provision of ORS 192.670 all meetings will be live streamed at www.youtube.com/user/ppscomms/live, except for those meetings that fall under the provisions set forth for executive sessions.
Meeting Materials Announcement:
All Portland Public Schools Board of Education board meeting meeting materials, included committee materials, will now be located on BoardBook.
To access the page click on the Board Meetings and Materials tab, or visit https://meetings.boardbook.org/Public/Organization/915.
Once on our new materials page, click on the agenda for the meeting you are interested in. All materials are listed with the specific agenda item.
Portland Public Schools Board of Education
The School Board is comprised of seven elected members serving four-year terms. Every year, the Board elects their Chair and Vice Chair. Board members are community volunteers and do not receive compensation for their work. The School Board is the policy-making body of our school district. It is responsible for providing an education program for students living within the District.
To accomplish its role, the Board:
- Determines the long-range direction of the District
- Establishes policies that direct the instructional and support programs
- Employs and evaluates the Superintendent
- Communicates with the community
- Negotiates with employee groups to determine salaries and benefits
- Calls elections on bond proposals
- Approves the annual budget
- A student Board Representative, selected by the high school student body, serves as an unofficial voting member for one year to represent the students and report on the various high school activities.
The public is invited to attend the public Board meetings to gain a better understanding of school district business and the role of the School Board. The public is also invited to address the Board during the public comment portion of the Board meetings. Individuals interested in addressing the Board should arrive a few minutes prior to the scheduled meetings and place their name on the sign-in sheet. You may also phone in your request to provide public comment (503-916-3906), or email your request to PublicComment@pps.net. Individuals may phone or email in advance of the meeting; please include the subject topic you will be speaking on.
Notice of Public Meetings
To find out when meetings are scheduled:
- View the Public Notices Page.
- View the Regular Meeting Schedule.
- Subscribe to email notifications: Send an email to email@example.com, with subscribe as the subject. After an email address has been subscribed to the mailing list, notice of a Public Meeting of the School Board will be sent prior to each scheduled meeting.
Español | Spanish - Lineamientos de las asambleas públicas
Tiếng Việt | Vietnamese - NGUYÊN TẮC HỌP M CÔNG KHAI
中文 | Chinese
Русский | Russian
Soomaali | Somali
Board of Education Staff
Public Board Meetings
To find out when Board Meetings are scheduled:
- View the Public Notices Page.
- View the 2021/2022 Regular Meeting Schedule.
- Subscribe to email notifications: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subscribe as the subject. After an email address has been subscribed to the mailing list, notice of a Public Meeting of the School Board will be sent prior to each scheduled meeting.
See the PPS Board in Action
Upcoming Board Meetings