On advice from the Oregon Health Authority and the Oregon Department of Education, the School Board Leadership has made the decision that all January meetings of the Board of Education will be hybrid, with members of the public participating virtually. These extra mitigation efforts are in place to help reduce the spread of COVID so that districts can prioritize in-person learning for students. This guidance includes the recommendation that schools hold events (parent/family conferences, fundraisers, etc.) online, rather than in-person. Community members may view those meetings live through the following link and those who are signed up to provide public comment can do so virtually.
Portland Public Schools Board of Education
The School Board is comprised of seven elected members serving four-year terms. Every year, the Board elects their Chair and Vice Chair. Board members are community volunteers and do not receive compensation for their work. The School Board is the policy-making body of our school district. It is responsible for providing an education program for students living within the District.
To accomplish its role, the Board:
- Determines the long-range direction of the District
- Establishes policies that direct the instructional and support programs
- Employs and evaluates the Superintendent
- Communicates with the community
- Negotiates with employee groups to determine salaries and benefits
- Calls elections on bond proposals
- Approves the annual budget
- A student Board Representative, selected by the high school student body, serves as an unofficial voting member for one year to represent the students and report on the various high school activities.
The public is invited to attend the public Board meetings to gain a better understanding of school district business and the role of the School Board. The public is also invited to address the Board during the public comment portion of the Board meetings. If you would like to sign up for public comment, please send an email with your first and last name, your school community, and topic to PublicComment@pps.net or call the Board Office at 503-916-3741. Requests for public comment will be processed in the order that they are received. Email and phone requests should be received by 12:00 pm the day of the meeting. Walk-up requests are taken, if space is available, in the fifteen minutes prior to the meeting (and must be received prior to the start of the meeting). Please note, public comment by any individual is limited to one time every 30 days. Written public comment may be sent to PublicComment@pps.net.
Notice of Public Meetings
To find out when meetings are scheduled:
- View the Public Notices Page.
- View the Regular Meeting Schedule.
- Subscribe to email notifications: Send an email to email@example.com to request to be added to the Public Notice mailing list. After an email address has been subscribed to the mailing list, notice of a Public Meeting of the School Board will be sent prior to each scheduled meeting.
Español | Spanish - Lineamientos de las asambleas públicas
Tiếng Việt | Vietnamese - NGUYÊN TẮC HỌP M CÔNG KHAI
中文 | Chinese
Русский | Russian
Soomaali | Somali
Board of Education Staff
Public Board Meetings
To find out when Board Meetings are scheduled:
- View the Public Notices Page.
- View the 2021/2022 Regular Meeting Schedule.
- Subscribe to Public Notice email notifications: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request to be added to the Public Notice mailing list. After an email address has been subscribed to the mailing list, notice of a Public Meeting of the School Board will be sent prior to each scheduled meeting.
See the PPS Board in Action
Upcoming Board Meetings
6:00 PM District Board Meeting
January 26, 2022
4:00 PM - 6:00 PM Board Policy Committee Meeting
January 28, 2022
January 31, 2022
February 2, 2022
1:00 PM - 2:30 PM Board Charter Schools and Alternative Programs Committee Meeting