Open School, Inc.
Open School, a community-based non-profit, was founded in 1971 and is one of Portland's oldest alternative school programs. Open School East is accredited by Cognia and registered with the Oregon Department of Education as a private school.
Open School leads programs based on:
- EQUITY: Diverse and inclusive community for students and families to partner in their education journey
- ADVOCACY: Strengths-based relationships between students and Advocates that empower students to use their own voice to advocate for themselves
- ACADEMIC: Relevant and responsive programming that prepares students for graduation and their desired post-secondary path.
Open School runs TWO educational programs:
- Open School East - an identify-affirming high school in East Multnomah County that helps students catch up, graduate, and achieve their life goals. Currently accepting students in 9th through 12th grade.
- Step Up – a relationship-based mentoring program that supports students through their high school journey at Roosevelt, Franklin, and Madison high schools. Currently accepting rising 9th grade students.
As an identity-affirming high school, Open School East offers:
- Culturally-relevant curriculum
- Small Class sizes
- Daily Peer Groups led by carefully selected Mentor teacher (Advocate)
- Diverse staff
- Restorative Justice practices
- Social-Emotional Support and connection to resources
Open School's Mission
To lead an educational community based on equity, advocacy, and academics. We support marginalized students on their journey to break limiting beliefs, learn to navigate and challenge systemic oppression, and build their life goals.
- Academic-skill development
- Individual tutoring
- Life-skills development
- Advocacy/case management
- Regular peer-support groups
- Issue-focused groups
- Leadership development
- Post-secondary-education success