STAMP (Standards-based Measurement of Proficiency) & Other World Language Credit By Exams
STAMP (STAndards-based Measurement of Proficiency) is a web-based test that is an option for high school students to earn academic credits for language proficiency. Students should be native English speakers or ESL students with high intermediate to advanced English. Application with parent signature is required at time of test.
Click here for all languages.
- Amharic (W)
- *Arabic (S)
- Armenian (W)
- Chin-Hakha (W)
- Czech (W)
- Filipino (W)
- *French (S)
- *German (S)
- Hatian-Creole (W)
- *Hebrew (S)
- *Hindi (S)
- Hmong (W)
- Ilocano (W)
- *Italian (S)
- *Japanese (S)
- *Korean (S)
- *Mandarin Simplified (S)
- *Mandarin Traditional (S)
- *Polish (S)
- *Portuguese (S)
- *Russian (S)
- Samoan (W)
- Somali MaayMaay (W)
- Somali Maxaa (W)
- *Spanish (S)
- Tamil (W)
- Teluga (W)
- Thai (A)
- Turkish (W)
- Urdu (W)
- Vietnamese (W)
- Yup'ik (W)
*Students must be at ESL Intermediate or above.
In District: $0 for students currently enrolled in a PPS school
Out of District: $50 for OOD or students currently enrolled in a non-PPS school
(If paying by check or money orders, make payable to Portland Public Schools. Please note "STAMP testing" on the check. Payment in advance is required for non-PPS students.)
Schedule and Registration:
STAMP Testing for Grades 9-12 only
NOT AVAILABLE FOR CURRENT 8th GRADERS
2019-20 STAMP dates are currently in process. The dates below are approximations.
- September 26, 2019. 12:30 PM - 4:00 PM @ Wilson High School CLOSED
- October 23, 2019. 12:30 PM - 4:00 PM @ Cleveland High School CLOSED
- November 13, 2019. 12:30 PM - 4:00 PM @ Benson High School CLOSED
- January 22, 2020. 12:30 PM - 4:00 PM @ Holladay Annex
- February 19, 2020. 12:30 PM - 4:00 PM @ Holladay Annex
- March 18, 2020. 12:30 PM - 4:00 PM @ Benson High School
- April, TBD 2020. 12:30 PM - 4:00 PM @ Wilson High School
- May 13, 2020. 12:30 PM - 4:00 PM @ Benson High School
STAMP Testing for 8th Grade PPS students:
- Please contact your school counselor for the exam details.
- If the student is in an DLI school, contact Michael Bacon for language testing options.
- If not in a DLI school, but the student is both bilingual and biliterate, they may benefit from taking the STAMP when they are in the 9th grade. To this end, PPS offers STAMP testing for 8th graders in NON DLI schools in June (after the last day of school at one high school site.)
- Registration opens in May and is limited to 40 slots.
- The STAMP is designed to test native speakers who are bilingual AND biliterate in the native language. It is not designed to be a placement test. In 2018, fewer than 40% of incoming 9th graders students who took the STAMP earned credit. So careful selection is important to ensure that students who take the test are both bilingual and biliterate.
Diane Berthoin-Hernandez, LCO/VS Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-916-6120, or x71730
Keisha Mateo, Senior Clerk, email@example.com, 503-916-6120, x71732