Be Internet Awesome: a new way to encourage digital safety and citizenship from Google geared toward young grades. The program includes a range of specific resources for kids, educators and parents, so everyone has the tools they need to learn and participate in the conversation, to read more about the program visit this webpage: https://blog.google/topics/families/be-internet-awesome-helping-kids-make-smart-decisions-online/
Low-Cost Home Internet
The Comcast “Internet Essentials” program provides home internet for $9.95 per month for families with students who qualify for free and reduced-price meals under the National School Lunch Program, and recently expanded to those who receive HUD housing assistance.
- There is an option to purchase a $149 home computer, and a wireless router is also available.
- All families in our 25 Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) schools have an expedited approval process and do not need to provide a copy of their approved meal eligibility notification letter.
- Families at other PPS schools will be asked to provide a copy of their approved meal eligibility notification letter to qualify for this service.
- The program has now expanded to include those who receive HUD housing assistance such as Public Housing, Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8 Vouchers) or Multifamily Vouchers (Project-Based Section 8).
- Families can apply online at https://internetessentials.com/ in English or https://es.internetessentials.com/ in Spanish or by calling 1-855-846-8376.
There are additional resources for families available at http://everyoneon.org/, including information about classes in our area.
Free Computer Program - Free Geek "Plug Into Portland"
PPS students can apply to the Free Geek "Plug Into Portland" program for a free computer. The program asks that students complete 24 hours of community service and attend a 2-3 hour class. Visit the Free Geek site for details.