Student & Family Resources
Free internet options during school closure
Free Comcast Xfinity internet
Comcast Xfinity is currently offering its Internet Essentials program free for two months to new customers. The internet provider is also automatically increasing speeds for all Internet Essentials customers. See more information at corporate.comcast.com/covid-19 or call 1-855-846-8376
Comcast Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots are also open and free to use by anyone. More information can be found at wifi.xfinity.com
The Comcast “Internet Essentials” program provides home internet for $9.95 per month for families with students who qualify for free and reduced-price meals under the National School Lunch Program, and recently expanded to those who receive HUD housing assistance.
- There is an option to purchase a $149 home computer, and a wireless router is also available.
- All families in our 25 Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) schools have an expedited approval process and do not need to provide a copy of their approved meal eligibility notification letter.
- Families at other PPS schools will be asked to provide a copy of their approved meal eligibility notification letter to qualify for this service.
- The program has now expanded to include those who receive HUD housing assistance such as Public Housing, Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8 Vouchers) or Multifamily Vouchers (Project-Based Section 8).
- Families can apply online at https://internetessentials.com/ in English or https://es.internetessentials.com/ in Spanish or by calling 1-855-846-8376.
Reduced cost of phone or broadband service from Oregon Lifeline
Oregon Lifeline is a federal and state government program that reduces the monthly cost of phone or broadband service for qualifying low-income Oregon households. If you qualify, you could get one of the following benefits of the program with a participating service provider in your area:
- Receive a discount on your phone bill of $10.75 per month;
- Receive a discount on your broadband bill of up to $12.75 per month; or
- Receive free cell phone and data service
To qualify residents must receive one of the following benefits:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Veterans or Survivors Pension Benefit
- Or your total household income is at or below 135 percent of federal poverty guidelines
For more information vist www.oregon.gov/puc/Pages/Oregon-Lifeline.aspx or call 800-848-4442 or 503-373-7171
Free and Reduced lunch certificated
If you need a copy of your Free and Reduced lunch certificated, please email email@example.com
Be Internet Awesome: a new way to encourage digital safety and citizenship from Google geared toward young grades. The program includes a range of specific resources for kids, educators and parents, so everyone has the tools they need to learn and participate in the conversation, to read more about the program visit this webpage: https://blog.google/topics/families/be-internet-awesome-helping-kids-make-smart-decisions-online/
Free Computer Program - Free Geek "Plug Into Portland"
PPS students can apply to the Free Geek "Plug Into Portland" program for a free computer. The program asks that students complete 24 hours of community service and attend a 2-3 hour class. Visit the Free Geek site for details.