Learn Which Leave is Right for You and How to Apply

  • FMLASource Contact Info:

    Website: www.fmlasource.com
    Email: fmlacenter@fmlasource.com
    Phone: 833-515-0763 Call Center Hours 5:30 am-7:30pm PT Monday-Friday
    Mobile App: FMLASource Now (for Google Play or Apple iOS). You must have your employee ID number and your home ZIP (postal) code on file with your employer to register.


    Contact FMLASource for the Following Leave Requests:


    Medical leave, for a serious health condition for an employee.

    Family medical leave, for a serious health condition of an employee's covered family member.

    Pregnancy leave, for a serious health condition related to pregnancy, and/or recovery from giving birth. 

    Parental leave, to bond with and care for an employee's newborn, newly adopted or newly placed foster child under 18 years of age, or newly adopted or newly placed foster child, 18 years of age or older who is incapable of self-care because of a physical or mental impairment.

    Sick Child leave, for an employee's child illness or injury that is not a serious health condition or school or daycare closure due to a public health emergency.

    Military leave

    ADA Workplace Accommodation, see our ADA webpage.

    Questions about planning your Pregnancy or Parental Leave? See our Pregnancy and Parental Leave Flyer.    


    Contact PPS Leave Dept for the Following Leave Requests:

    Complete the Leave of Absence Request form (Link) and submit it to leave@pps.net for the following contract leave requests, which will be administered by Portland Public Schools.

  • Association/Federal/Union Leave

    (Applies to PAT/PSFP only)

    Those serving as representatives for their union should contact the Leave team if they have questions about their leave. Annual application/notification is required.

    (Applies to PAT/PSFP only)

    If you would like an unpaid leave to campaign or serve in political office, submit a completed Leave Request Form to leave@pps.net at least 30 days prior to the start of your leave.

    (Applies to PAT only)

    You may apply to participate in a teaching exchange program, foreign military training program, Peace Corps, Teacher Corps, Job Corps, VISTA or teach in an institution of high learning, by completing the Leave Request Form at least 60 days in advance of the start date. If you are applying for a full-year leave applications are due by March 1 prior to your planned time off. Email the application to leave@pps.net. Each program has slightly different requirements so once we receive the application, we will get back to you with additional information.

    Career Development; Study Leave or Student Teaching Leave

    (Career Development and Study Leave: Applies to PAT employees only)

    Review Article 17.4.5 and 17.4.6 of the Portland Area Teachers (PAT) Contract for more information about Career Development and Study Leaves.

    (Student Teaching Leave: Applies to PFSP employees only)

    Review Article 21 of the Portland Federation of School Professionals (PFSP) contract for more information about PFSP Student Teaching Leaves and application process. 

    Unpaid Childcare

    Submit a Leave Request Form to leave@pps.net. If you want to extend your leave for the school year following your pregnancy/parental/childcare leave, submit your request no later than April 15th to leave@pps.net.

    Other/Special Leaves

    If none of the above categories match your specific circumstances, you may be eligible for a Special Leave of Absence.  Complete a Leave Request Form and include or attach a written statement explaining your need for an unpaid special leave of absence. Submit the application to leave@pps.net. Please note that these unique situations may require additional time for review.


    For absences that are three (3) days or less, submit the Short Leave Request Form directly to your supervisor.  However, anytime employees are missing work for more than three (3) days due to their own serious health condition, to care for a family member's serious health condition, or for a military leave, they are likely eligible for leave through federal and/or state law that provides employees with certain job protections.  In these cases, employees are directed to contact FMLASource to open a request for leave.

    Vacation requests:  Employees who are eligible for vacation may submit their request directly to their supervisor by email.  No form is necessary.

Leave of Absence Contact Information

Type of Leave Contact Email Phone
Leave of Absence (Medical, Family Medical, Pregnancy/Parental, Child Illness, Covid, Military, and ADA) FMLASource fmlacenter@fmlasource.com 833.515.0763
Worker's Comp Risk Management riskcomp@pps.net 503.916.3105
ADA Accommodation FMLASource fmlacenter@fmlasource.com 833.515.0763
All Other Leave Types PPS Leaves Team leave@pps.net 503.916.3099