• Restricted Substitute Educator

    Individuals that have never held an Oregon Unrestricted Teaching License from TSPC (or do not have an Active Teaching License in another state), may qualify for the Substitute Educator position with Portland Public Schools as a Restricted Substitute Educator.


    Restricted Substitute Educator - Qualifications

    Minimum Qualifications

    • At least one school year semester of student teaching, intern teaching, or past teaching experience.
    • Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.

    Please note: Required experience must be listed on your application and/or resume.  Completed applications must have unofficial transcripts attached showing completion of a Bachelor's Degree.


    Preferred Qualifications

    • Alignment with PPS core values of racial equity and social justice
    • Demonstrated technological proficiency
    • Demonstrated experience with classroom & behavior management
    • Demonstrated experience working with diverse students in an educational setting
    • Demonstrated experience with culturally relevant instruction
    • Passion for working in an educational setting supporting students and school communities


    TSPC License Information

    Candidates in need of district Sponsorship for their Restricted Substitute License will receive information on applying for their license and acquiring sponsorship once they have been offered a position with Portland Public Schools.

    Please do not apply for a Restricted Substitute License prior to being offered a position with PPS.

    More information on TSPC and licensure can be found here. 


    To apply for a Substitute Educator position, please visit careers.pps.net and search for job ID 27422 to submit your application.

    We are currently accepting applications for the 2024-2025 School Year.  Interviews will be by invitation only. 


    For any questions, please contact the PPS Substitute Office at ppssub@pps.net. For more information regarding the online application process, please review the Online Application FAQs & Resources.