• Portland Association of Teachers (PAT) National Board Stipend Process & Eligibility

    Updated: January 3, 2024

    Educators who receive a National Board for Professional Teaching Standards have completed extensive additional rigorous work, including passing exams,  indicating their status as accomplished and expert teachers. Similarly, there are some National Boards for other PAT positions, such as counseling, that require additional rigorous work and passing of exams indicating an advanced level of expertise in their field. PPS provides a $1,500 per school year stipend for educators who have completed the additional work (beyond the requirements for their license) and passed the required exams to earn an educational National Board which is relevant to their assignment.

    There are some National Boards in which educators are required to complete in order to be licensed for their position -- these National Boards do not qualify for the National Board stipend as they are required in order to hold the position. Examples include the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Certificate of Clinical Competence which is required for Speech Language Pathologist (SLPs) Licensure and the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB) which is required for Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBAs).

    State Boards are not eligible for the National Board stipend.

    Impacted Employee Group(s)
    Employees in the Portland Association of Teachers (PAT) union are eligible for the national board stipend, if they meet all other eligibility requirements.

    District or Department Collective Bargaining Agreement, Policy, Procedure, Guideline, and Guideline Reference(s)
    Portland Association of Teachers Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)
    Article 12 Compensation, 12.1.4 “Professional educators who have received and retain a National Board Certification for Professional Teaching Standards shall receive an additional $1,500 per school year. Professional educators who earn/receive other certifications from National Boards shall also receive the additional $1,500 per school year.”

    Stipend Details
    Employees are responsible for submitting a copy of their earned National Board Certificate to HR License Renewal (hrlicenserenewal@pps.net). The copy must include the following information:

    1. Employee’s first and last name
    2. The name of the issuing agency
    3. A certificate number
    4. An issuance date
    5. An expiration date

    Approved National Board stipends will be entered effective the 16th of the month in which they are received by HR. Stipends are not backdated to the issuance of the National Board. The stipend is prorated for the entire school year.
    Note: stipends for the 2023-2024 school year will be back dated for National Boards that are newly approved to the start of the school year or the issuance of the National Board, whichever is most recent. This backdating will only occur for this school year for newly approved National Boards.

    It is the employee’s responsibility to provide renewed national boards prior to the expiration date to ensure the stipend does not lapse. If a renewal is received after the expiration date, it will be effective the 16th of the month received by HR and will not be backdated. 

    Eligibility Requirements

    Educational National Boards

    Eligible (Y/N)

    American Speech-Language-Hearing Association

    Required to earn Audiologist and Speech Language Pathologist licenses (SLP).

    Art Therapy Credentials Board (ATCB) - eligible credential: Board Certified Art Therapist (ATR-BC)


    Association of Social Workers Board (ASWB)

    Required to earn a LCSW license.

    Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB)

    Required to earn a BCBA license.

    National Association of School Social Workers -Certified School Social Work Specialist (C-SSWS)


    This is not a national board;  This process specifies how MSW graduates can achieve a School Social Worker designation through NASW by receiving supervision in a school setting. Requires a MSW and working as a School Social Worker-but does not include advanced study or exam.

    National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) Nationally Certified School Psychologists (NCSP)


    National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) - eligible credentials:

    • Certified Mental Health Counselor (CCMHC)
    • Master Addictions Counselor (MAC)
    • Nationally Certified School Counselors (NCSC)


    National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBCT)


    National Consortium for Physical Education for Individuals with Disabilities (NCPEID)