Portland Public Schools and the ADA (Americans w/ Disabilities Act)
What are workplace accommodations under the ADA?
Under Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (the ADA), a reasonable accommodation is a modification or adjustment to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done during the hiring process. These modifications enable a qualifying individual with a disability to have an equal opportunity not only to get a job, but successfully perform their job tasks to the same extent as people without disabilities. The ADA requires reasonable accommodations by employers as they relate to three aspects of employment:
1) Ensuring equal opportunity in the application process;
2) Enabling a qualified individual with a disability to perform the essential functions of a job; and
3) Making it possible for an employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment.
If you believe that you are an individual with a qualifying disability (one that impairs a major life function) that is impeding your ability to perform an essential function of your job, please contact FMLASource (our first point of contact) to initiate a Request for a Reasonable ADA Accommodation. You can reach them by one of the following methods:
- Phone: 833-515-0763 / Customer Service hrs: 5:30 am- 7:30 pm PT
- Smartphone App: FMLASource Now
- E-mail FMLACenter@fmlasource.com
- Website: www.fmlasource.com
Below are some additional accommodation / accessibility information and resources links that may be helpful:
- If you have an active ADA Accommodation in process: you may either contact FMLACenter@fmlasource.com or ADA@pps.net
- To learn more about PPS Building and Facility Accessibility as well as the District’s Transition Plans: https://www.pps.net/Page/2247
- If you have questions or needs regarding translation or interpreter services: https://www.pps.net/Domain/43
- For information on Risk Management or Workplace Environmental Health and Safety: https://www.pps.net/Domain/55
To learn more about PPS Leave of Absences: https://www.pps.net/Page/1710
If you have any other questions that have not been addressed above, or if you have any suggestions that will assist PPS in its endeavors to become a more inclusive employer, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.