Handbook - Welcome and Job Description
Dear Substitute Secretary:
Welcome to the Portland Public Schools. As a member of the Substitute Secretary staff you are a vital part of our school system. Your administrative support is key to the continued success of all our students and staff. It takes a special person to be able to manage the school office in the absence of the building secretary. We appreciate your commitment to our District and our children.
This handbook, along with assistance from school principals and secretaries, will enable you to assist us in meeting the educational needs of our students.
We are pleased that you have chosen to join the rest of the staff in their efforts to fulfill the mission of the Portland Public Schools, and we hope that your experience with Portland Public Schools is enjoyable. Have a great year!
Director of HR Technology and Support Services
Equal Opportunity Employer
No employee or applicant for employment shall be subjected to discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or sexual orientation. School District 1-J complies with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1985 (IRCA) as amended, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1991. PPS requires that all employees be cleared through fingerprinting and submit to a criminal record check. All PPS job offers are contingent on the satisfactory completion of a background check, including fingerprinting and criminal records.
JOB DESCRIPTION – SUBSTITUTE SECRETARY
Our mission at PPS is that by the end of elementary, middle, and high school every student by name is meeting or exceeding academic standards and is fully prepared to make productive life decisions.
Our employees' highest priority is to support the work in our schools every day. We want our students to be prepared to succeed, not just at each grade, but for a future beyond our schools: college, careers, and fulfilling lives as good parents, neighbors, and members of the community.
The district is focused on deepening our understanding of institutionalized racism and its impact on student learning, and providing support for leading systemic equity transformation initiatives in the district and schools.
PLEASE NOTE: This job posting is to establish an applicant pool and will be used to fill temporary and on-call openings as they occur. Work locations and work hours may vary, which will be explained at time of interview.
Under general supervision, the School Secretary is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the office. This support includes meeting the needs of all who call or visit the school office, providing a high level of customer service, performing data entry, maintaining computer-based records, and preparing correspondence and administrative reports as directed.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
May include but are not limited to the following:
- Operates standard office machines, computers, and equipment.
- Uses computer software such as MS Word, MSExcel, Gmail, Google Calendar.
- Answers multi-line telephones, records messages accurately, and greets visitors and parents.
- Distributes materials to staff members.
- Uses personal initiative to cooperate in performing other related duties.
- Performs minor first aid and dispenses authorized medications.
- Monitors sign in/out and destination sheets.
- Coordinates the placement of substitutes required for the school.
- Performs other reasonably related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Proficiency in clerical and computer-based record keeping.
- Minimum of one year of secretarial experience.
- Demonstrated ability to type at a correct speed of 60 w.p.m.
- Proficient in grammar, spelling, punctuation, computational, and clerical record keeping skills.
- Knowledge of standard office equipment, system data entry, and retrieval equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise confidentiality, good judgment, tact, and diplomacy.
- Minimum availability of at least three days per week, Monday thru Friday 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM. Availability on Monday and Friday is required.
Temporary and on-call positions are not eligible for benefits.
Submit an application here: https://www.pps.net/Page/105.
Portland Public Schools recognizes the diversity and worth of all individuals and groups and their roles in society.
The District is committed to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination in all its educational and employment activities. The District prohibits discrimination based on race; national or ethnic origin; color; sex; religion; age; sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; pregnancy; marital status; familial status; economic status or source of income; mental or physical disability or perceived disability; or military service.