• Substitute Educator Licensure Renewal and Professional Development

    This page is for Substitute Educators. If you are not a Substitute, please go here for your licensure renewal information: https://www.pps.net/Page/2161

    The Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC) is the Oregon licensing agency for all educators. Please visit their website for the most up-to-date information: http://www.oregon.gov/TSPC/Pages/index.aspx

    Please also review our main License & Highly Qualified page for the best information: Click Here

    All licensed staff are responsible for obtaining and maintaining appropriate licensure for their assignments at PPS.

    Important Updates:

    - TSPC Contact Information: 503-378-3586 or contact.tspc@oregon.gov
    TSPC Office Hours: M-F, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

    Due to changes at TSPC, PPS now requires all educators to submit any changes to license or endorsement. This can be done by sending the updated license certificate to hrlicenserenewal@pps.net. This certificate can be accessed and downloaded within your TSPC account online.

    - Effective July 1, 2019, educators will no longer receive a grace period and the license will not remain active if an application/fee online is not received PRIOR to the license expiration date.

    - Effective December 1, 2020, substitute PDU logs will no longer be verified through ESD and instead will need to be verified directly by TSPC.

    - Please see TSPC's website for all other updates: https://www.oregon.gov/TSPC/Pages/index.aspx 

    Renewing/Maintaining your TSPC License

    Your TSPC e-licensing application and all required fees must be submitted prior to the expiration of your TSPC license. TSPC’s renewal process often takes several weeks and may extend past the license expiration. Licensed holders are allowed to continue in positions requiring a license beyond the expiration date, provided the license remains active in a “grace period.” If TSPC has received your Online Application and renewal fee prior to the license expiration date, the grace period will be activated for 120 days. Please note: not all licenses are grace period eligible.

    Portland Public Schools does not verify PDUs for Substitute Educators, unless they have worked in a temporary position during their current license period (this is not the same as a long-term Substitute Position).
    The most up-to-date information from TSPC regarding renewal can be found here.
    Additionally, here is more information from the TSPC website regarding how to submit your PDUs when you work for a district that does not verify PDUs:
    TSPC has contracted with some ESDs for verification services. Follow the instructions below to verify through a partnering ESD. How to submit verification through a partner ESD: 
    • Visit the orepdc.k12.or.us website and following the instructions. (There is a $25 processing fee.)
     o Note: After confirming your name, email address, and phone number, you will be asked, "Are you needing to verify Advanced PDUs?" Select [No], since these instructions are for Continuing PDUs.
     • Once the submission process is complete, the ESD will send an e-mail that explains where to send supporting materials. 
    • Materials may be sent via mail, e-mail, or fax.
    • The ESDs will electronically verify PDUs to TSPC within two weeks of completed submission. For questions or concerns about PDU submissions or the OREPDC website, contact: orepdcsupport@mesd.k12.or.us  

    PDU Information

    PDU’s or Professional Development Units are required to renew most licenses. To determine if your license requires PDU’s please refer to the Renewal Requirements by License Type document on the TSPC website for current information. A list of allowable activities is available HERE

    Substitutes will need to have PDUs verified by TSPC. 

    Please remember that maintaining your professional license is your responsibility.  The Teachers Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC) is the owner and distributor of licensure information and standards for the State of Oregon.  Licensure is very specific to each individual, to ensure you receive accurate and current information about your license please contact TSPC or your State Licensing Board with any questions.